Monday, July 24, 2017

Battling Hypothyroidism

I have been battling hypothyroidism for years.  I'll be put on new medicine and it will work for a few weeks then stop working again.  Then all the symptoms come back.  Fatigue, always cold, weight gain, depression, horrible menstrual cycle, and slow heart rate.  I have 3 very busy kids, I don't have time for all those symptoms.  Two year ago I went gluten free to help with symptoms.  I wasn't concerned with losing weight or being a part of the new fad diet.  After a ton of research, I kept reading that being gluten free helps the thyroid function correctly.  I tried it.  I loved it.  Well, not at first.  The beginning was hard. I missed pasta, pizza, and white bread.  I made it over a year being gluten free with no cheat days.  My medicine stayed the same while gluten free and I had no hypothyroidism symptoms.  It was a miracle.  Then my kids had pizza one day and I caved and ate some.  The gluten tasted amazing.  :-)  I didn't want to be gluten free anymore.  I went food crazy.  I have now been eating gluten for over a year.  Last month I went to my endocrinologist and got some bad news.  My medicine was not working correctly and my blood pressure was dangerously low.  So, now I want to be gluten free again.  I don't have an allergy to gluten.  My body just doesn't do good when I eat it.  It's summer time.  Cookouts, bonfires, and always on the go.  Starting this diet at this time is going to be hard.  I keep pushing it off.  Reading food labels again sounds like a pain.  I can do it.  Just have to push.  ugh.... here goes.



*****Some of the gluten free items I loved*****
Pop Chips - BBQ
Nature Valley PB & Chocolate Protein Bars
Cocoa Pebbles
Barilla noodles


No comments:

Post a Comment